How to Get UAN Number: If you’re a salaried person and working in a private sector, then you must know about the UAN number. The UAN number is a unique account number which is allotted to the employees by EPFO. In fact, you can’t ignore the importance of UAN number because all the services of EPFO are now connected with UAN number. Moreover, it allows you to check and withdraw money from your provident fund without the interference of your employer.
So, did your employer had told you about the UAN number? Do you know about your UAN number? If not, then don’t be worry about this because we’ve featured a step by step guide which will help you to get your UAN number. The process is simple and quick and only takes less than 5 minutes. But before that, I would like to introduce you to the term Universal Account Number.
- 1 What is Universal Account Number?
- 2 Benefits of Having a UAN Number
- 3 Things You Need to Have the UAN Number
- 4 How to Get Universal Account Number?
- 5 Step 1: Get the PF Details from your Employer
- 6 Step 2: Know your UAN Status
- 7 Step 3: Generate your UAN Number
- 8 Step 4: Update your KYC Details
- 9 Final Thoughts
What is Universal Account Number?
UAN number stands for Universal Account Number is a 12 digit unique number issued by the EPFO department of India. It is a universal number which means that it will work everywhere i.e. it shall not change with the change in your job.
The Main purpose of introducing the Universal Account Number is to reduce the interference of the employers and give easy access to the employees to check, withdraw the provident fund from their EPF account.
Benefits of Having a UAN Number
UAN contains gives you a number of features which will simplify all your EPF tasks through their platform. Some of the benefits are as follows:
- Having a UAN number makes it easy for you to transfer funds from your EPF fund.
- After the UAN activation, you’ll be able to know your EPF balance without any hassles.
- UAN number automatically transfers your balance from one account to another in case if job change.
- The UAN number makes it easy for you to check and download your PF passbook anytime.
- The employer can’t be able to blackmail you to withhold your PF.
- The combination of Aadhaar card and UAN number gives you access to the EPF fund without the employer’s signature.
- You can update your personal details online.
- Most importantly, you’ll get monthly notifications regarding the status of your EPF like whether your company is depositing the EPF or not.
Things You Need to Have the UAN Number
- PF Number – It will be attached to your salary slip.
- Date of Birth – You can get it from your Aadhar Card or any other legal documents.
- Name – As on the PF records.
- Mobile Number – You should have a permanent mobile number as a verification PIN will be sent to your registered mobile number.
- Email ID – You can add an e-mail ID to your EPF account if you need weekly newsletters.
How to Get Universal Account Number?
In order to make it simple for you, we’ve divided the whole process into small parts, which will help you to understand the process better. Following are the steps which you need to follow in order to get a UAN number:
Step 1: Get the PF Details from your Employer
In the normal case, your employer will get your UAN number from the EPFO. So, Ask your employer for the PF details. If your employer doesn’t provide you with the PF details, then don’t be worry about this. You can get your PF details attached to your salary slip. If the number is missing, then ask the HR department for your PF number.
Step 2: Know your UAN Status
If you know about your UAN number then you can check whether it has been activated or not? If you don’t have, then you can check whether it is allotted by the EPFO or not. Following are the steps which you can follow to generate your UAN number.
- Firstly, Go to this Link.
- After that, you need to fill in your state and office area for the EPF.
- Then, enter your PF number which consists of Region/City/State/Office/Ext and PF number. If your PF number doesn’t have the EXT number, then you can leave it blank.
- Now, Click on the “Check Status” button and wait for a few seconds.
- Once the process is finished, it will display the results. If you get the message that your UAN number has been activated, then you don’t need to worry about it.
- If not, then you need to generate a UAN number for yourself.
Step 3: Generate your UAN Number
Anyone can generate a UAN number, even if are about to get a job. Here’s how you can do this:
- Go to the EPFO website from this Link.
- Then, you need to click on the For Citizens option located under the “Our Services” tab.
- Now, click on “Know your UAN status” button to proceed.
- On this page, you have to fill in your personal details like Name, Mobile Number, Date of Birth, KYC details, and bank details.
- Once you’ve filled in the details, then you will get an Authorization PIN on your number, which can be used to confirm your identity.
- After the successful activation, you will be redirected to a page where you need to enter your Name, Father’s Name, Address etc.
- You are then asked to enter a strong password which you need during the login process.
- That’s all! your UAN number is your username and password is the one you’ve created in the previous step. You can use these credits to log in to your account.
Step 4: Update your KYC Details
After you’ve activated your UAN number, then you can update your KYC details. It is the best practice to update your KYC details because it will help EPFO to know more about you. Following are the steps which you can follow to update your KYC details:
- Firstly, Go to the EPFO website and log in to your account.
- Then, you need to find the “Edit your KYC” link on the EPFO platform.
- Once you find it, click on it and you will be redirected to the next page.
- On the next page, you have to upload your identity documents such as Aadhaar Card, PAN Card etc. We recommend you to link your Aadhaar and Bank Account as that will help you to keep track of withdrawals from your EPF account.
So, Above are the steps which you can follow to get a UAN number. I hope this post helped you get the required information that you might be looking for. If you found this helpful, then don’t forget to share it with your friends, family and colleagues who are looking for the same.
Do you have any queries regarding this post, then feel free to contact us through the comment section below.